Health and Safety prosecutions for company directors and senior managers has rocketed over the past year, with the figures being tripled. The previous year 15 directors and managers were prosecuted by the HSE compared to a staggering 46 in the 12 months leading up to 31st March 2016. 12 out of the 46 were convicted to prison sentences, with the longest sentence being two years.
Due to the prosecutions, there has been a significant increase in fines. Over £20 million worth of fines were handed out between February and August 2016, compared with £14.4 within the same months in 2015.
The Corporate Manslaughter and Corporate Homicide Act 2007 came into force on 6 April 2008 and targets the behaviour of companies but, in the prosecutions brought to date, senior management have found themselves in the dock alongside their companies.
When there is a death in the workplace, juries will now have to consider how the fatal activity was managed or organised throughout the company. The juries will take into consideration any training, systems, and processes for managing safety and how these were operated.
How can we help you?
In order to help protect senior managers and directors THSP Risk Management have launched their brand new IOSH Safety for Executives and Directors training course. This IOSH accredited course has been designed to provide managers and directors with all the information they need to help them effectively manage health and safety in their workplace.
What can you gain from this course?
- Understand the importance of strategic safety management and its integration into other business management systems
- Identify accident causes and plan for prevention through risk assessment and control strategies
- Know the consequences of failing to manage health and safety effectively
- Understand the importance of consultation and communication with employees on health and safety issues
- Understand the importance of performance monitoring for continual improvement of health and safety management.
To find out more about this course click here or to book your place call our training team on 03456 122 144.