Health and safety and the often-perceived industry red tape can be viewed by some businesses as an expense and a hindrance. This isn’t helped by the ridiculous stories doing the rounds about schools banning conkers and sports days over health and safety concerns.
It is important however not to lose sight of why workplace health and safety is so important. The below figures are taken from the HSE (www.hse.gov.uk) and are the key figures for Great Britain (2016/17).
- 137 workers killed at work
- 3 million working people suffering from a work-related illness
- 2,542 mesothelioma deaths due to past asbestos exposures (2015)
- 609,000 injuries occurred at work according to the Labour Force Survey
- 70,116 injuries to employees reported under RIDDOR
- 2 million working days lost due to work-related illness and workplace injury
- £14.9 billion estimated cost of injuries and ill health from current working conditions (2015/16)
These figures make sober reading and are the reason why we at THSP Risk Management do what we do. Our goal is to ensure that everyone that leaves for work returns home safely.
The Health and Safety at Work Act (HASAW) was introduced in 1974, this is the main piece of UK health and safety legislation. Since its introduction there has been a steady decline in the number of fatalities and injuries in the workplace, so that the current number of workplace deaths has fallen by 85%, or if read another way over 600 lives are being saved every year.
HASAWA places a duty on all employers “to ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, the health, safety and welfare at work” of all their employees. However, employees must also play their part to ensure they are working as safely as possible.
How well do you think your current health and safety policy protects your business and your employees? Are you looking at creating a positive health and safety culture throughout your business that protects your employees and keeps them off this list?
THSP are advocates of providing sensible solutions whilst helping you protect your employees. If you need help with any aspects of your health and safety, then give us a call on 03456 122144 for a confidential chat.